You may be familiar with DTM (Dermatophyte Test Medium) for the detection of Dermatophytes. We have added a medium, which we called ESA (Enhanced Sporulation Agar). Our new medium gives abundant growth, with strong pigmentation and sporulation, allowing exact determination, and is less prone to give false positive color change as can be seen with DTM.
- double chance of getting it right!
- easy inoculation on this plate
- on ESA strong pigmentation and sporulation
- easy to take a (Sellotape) sample
- whole plate can be sent in for evaluation by expert (UN3373!)
- ESA culture can be used right away for microscopy
- if dermatophyte: color changes rapidly on ESA
- DTM alone can give false positive color change
1. Taplin, D., Zaias, N. Rebell, G., and Blank, H. 1969. Isolation and Recognition of Dermatophytes on a New Medium (DTM). Arch. Derm.; 99:203-209.
2. Rinaldi, M.G., Stevens, V.J., and Halde, C. 1973. A New Sporulation Medium for Primary Isolation and Identification of Dermatophytes. Abs: AmerSoc. Micro. Meeting, Miami.
3. Zaias, N., Taplin, D. 1966. Improved Preparation for the Diagnosis of Mycologic Diseases. Arch. Derm.; 93:608-609.
4. Rebell, G. and Taplin, D. 1974. Dermatophytes. Their Recognition and Identification. U. Miami Press, Coral Gables, Fl. Fine color photographs.
5. Muller, G.H. and Kirk, R.W. 1966. Small Animal Dermatology. W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia.